Located in historic downtown Walterboro
Since the year 1828 the property on which Bethel United Methodist Church stands has been owned by this denomination. Originally the entire block from Washington Street to Hampton Street was included in the church’s holdings. The first building was a wooden structure that was destroyed by fire in 1854. A much larger building replaced the original building, but it was destroyed by the cyclone of 1879, which destroyed all of the churches in Walterboro. The church was again rebuilt. Over the ensuing years the church continued to grow until the church outgrew the building. A portion of the property was sold to fund the construction of a larger building. On May 22, 1929, the current buildings were dedicated.
Part of the growing and evolving of Bethel has been the addition of technology and social media to the ministry of our church. Bethel has a website and FaceBook page where services are broadcast live and can be viewed online later. Through this technology members can stay in touch no matter where they are and Bethel can reach out to people wherever they are.
Bethel’s dedication to the community and the welfare of all of God’s children is manifest in our various mission projects. Bethel has numerous groups in the church who provide nurture and support through projects such as the Food Pantry monthly food distributions, meeting space for the AA Serenity Group, monthly meals for shut-ins, and facilities for a low-cost Christian preschool.
Bethel is a Christ-centered church where all are welcome to join in worship. You are cordially invited to share in the life and worship of Bethel United Methodist Church.